My first mistake was thinking I was going to go make a sock monkey real quick. He will never get a brother and I nicknamed him Lumpy, but he’s finished and my daughter loves him. That’s what counts.
Codi had to move to a new dorm room last week, and I was trying to come up with a little dorm-warming present for her. She had mentioned several months ago that she loves sock monkeys and I happened to find these fun socks, so it seemed like a great idea.
I used the tutorial from Craft Passion. It’s a great tutorial, and most of the hiccups I faced were my own fault.
What’s cuter than a basket of sock monkeys? Well, Craft Passion’s sock monkeys at least.
I don’t think starting with knee socks was the best idea. It makes for very long legs, arms and tail, which are very difficult to stuff. I didn’t have any problem cutting the pieces though. Her illustration made it easy.
I made my seams too skinny and had to sew some of them a second time when they started popping loose. I also didn’t leave the area for turning large enough, so my sock developed a run when it was pulled too much. I was able to stitch it up, but it added more time to my already very long project. These socks were a very stretchy nylon, so I think a natural fiber with less stretch would work better.
I had a little difficulty with the method for stuffing the tail, but I think it’s because I pulled it too hard and the batting broke. Again, all me.
In the end, Lumpy took 4 hours to finish. Take a look at those arms and you might understand how he got his name.
When I was finished, I showed him to my son, who looked at me like I had just had a conversation with a potted plant. The look of relief when I told him I didn’t make one for him was almost insulting.
As I said before though, the girl with whom Lumpy will be spending his days thought he was adorable. She was even surprised when I said I made him. That, or someone did a great job teaching her some manners.