Yep, that’s me. I am the queen of lists, and more than once I’ve crossed off the last item before tossing it in the trash. I know once it’s finished there’s no need to mark that last box, but it just isn’t complete until I’ve done it. I like my organization with a little side of obsession for flavor. With the wedding coming up, you know I’m in full organizational mode. My daughter and I decided it would be nice to put it up on the wall where we could both see it easily. I think she’s trying to slow my list-making roll.
Craft Warehouse has been carrying these square frames for a good ten years or so, and I’ve wanted to make one of these with them for about that long. There are so many ways you could go with this, but I wanted a dry erase board, a calendar and something I could stick magnets to. I also had the U.S. map scrapbook paper that I bought a long time ago and never found a use for, so four frames was perfect for me. They also had the twig hanger, which I loved, so I brought that home too.
I wanted to make sure they all hung together straight, so that’s where my husband and his trusty brad nailer came in. I removed the glass and backing from each frame, then he lined them all up and secured them with three nails between each side.
After that it was just a matter of putting in the guts. The metal square went on top of the glass, as well as the dry erase. In hindsight, I probably could have put a piece of paper behind the glass and just used it, but what’s done is done. I did put a piece of scrapbook paper behind the glass with the calendar on top of it. The map is behind the glass as well. The backs went back on like they ordinarily would when framing a picture.
My husband placed the nails for hanging. That’s been our deal ever since I nailed the pocket door shut in our bedroom.
After the frames were up, the next step was to hang the hook for the jars to hold the pens and eraser.
While he worked on that, I took the jar rings outside and used a hammer and nail to poke two holes across from each other.
I figured out how long I wanted them to hang and cut an appropriate length of wire, making sure there was enough to wrap back onto itself. I stuck it through the holes on each side and twisted.
I put the lids back on the jars, filled them with the eraser and dry-erase markers and hung them in place.
I don’t know why I waited so long. This didn’t take much time at all, and the whole project cost me about $45. Not a bad price for my peace of mind.