My daughter’s wedding, like most these days I’d guess, was influenced by Pinterest. We had a secret board where the bride, the maid of honor and I could keep track of every relevant wedding idea we came across. We tried to be pretty selective, and cleaned it out once in a while, so it stayed manageable and ended up being an excellent tool in the planning process. In fact, she made it public after the wedding was over, so if you’d like to see what we were working with you’ll find it here. We didn’t use every idea on it, but I’m not sure how we would have managed without it.
Looking back at it, the photo I’m going to talk about today isn’t even on that board. But if you do a quick search, you’ll see pictures similar to this one our boys posed for.
The bride and groom are both big superhero fans. In fact, this is their car, which my daughter has been driving for about 4 years. The Batman symbol on the hood was not part of the getaway car décor.
The bride’s dad is a police lieutenant and the groom just graduated from the fire academy so as we talked about the superhero photo we realized it made complete sense to include those real heroes’ symbols among the imaginary. However, that meant we wouldn’t be buying the shirts already made. They went on my to-do list.
Since I was making them anyway, I thought maybe if we used all white the boys could just leave them on, hoping they would be covered by their vests.
It worked in the photos, but in person you can see a little color peeking out over the top of those vests. I’m still glad we use white though, because I love how it made the symbols stand out.
So, what about the girls? I had already planned to make robes for each of them to wear while they were getting their hair and makeup done, so I decided I’d make them match the boys, in the girliest way possible.
I made the robes using Simplicity 1720, the view in the upper left corner.
I added loops to the sides because I knew we’d find the belts everywhere later if they weren’t attached to the robes. When I was finished sewing them I decided they needed a little something, so I sewed lace to the bottom hem. You might recognize the fabric from the rug I showed you last month that I made for the wedding bathroom. It was a great way to use up those scraps!
To make the iron-ons for both the robes and the t-shirts, I ordered these printable sheets.
If you follow the directions exactly, these work beautifully. They survived washing just fine, and the colors were very vibrant, perfect for the comic book look we were going for.
This was definitely one of the more offbeat projects I did for the wedding, and one of the most fun!
My thanks to Heather Fitch Photography for allowing me to share some of her photos here!