It’s that time of year when I realize we’re about to be cooped up in the house for a few months and I want to clean. Forget spring cleaning, I’m an autumn cleaner. This year, I managed to extend the impulse online and gave my blog a little makeover. What do you think? If you don’t remember what it looked like before, just smile and nod.
I wanted a stitched heart to add to the top, but I wanted it to be real, so guess what? I had to stitch a heart!
I didn’t want to write on the fabric I was using because I was afraid it would show in the photo. I have one of those neato pens that fades away, one that can be washed away with a little water and a couple that seem to be permanent. The problem is, I didn’t label them and can’t ever remember which is which without a testing process. Sad, I know. But I’m going to share an alternative with you that worked beautifully.
Cut a piece of freezer paper to 8 1/2 by 11 inches.
Using your favorite method on the computer, arrange your clipart on a page. It needs to be fairly dark to show through the fabric and it’s very important that you reverse the images. Make sure your freezer paper is flat by rolling the edge opposite the direction they curl. Print your design on the non-shiny side.
Click here to download the three hearts, if you’d like to give it a try.
Cut the out the area of the design you’d like to use, if necessary. Cut a piece of fabric to the size you’ll need.
Iron the shiny side of the freezer paper to the back of the fabric, using a dry iron.
The design is easier to see from the front if you work with it in a way that a little light can get through. An embroidery hoop would help with this if necessary. Holding it up in a window might be a little overkill.
Stitch your design using embroidery thread and a needle. I wouldn’t attempt a very complicated design using this method because the more stitches you have the harder it will be to remove the paper.
Once your design is complete, turn it over and CAREFULLY tear the paper away. I found tearing it in small pieces worked the best. It also helped to press my fingernail against the stitches. Sorry for the blurry here.
Take your time with this part.
I found my stitches needed a little smoothing out once all the paper was gone, but that was easy enough to do. This is the back.
My little heart turning out exactly the way I wanted!
Now that my blog is ready for winter, I suppose I should turn some attention on the rest of the house. Not nearly as fun as embroidery…