As you know by now, since I haven’t stopped talking about it yet, my daughter’s wedding was held in the small field between our house and our little red barn. Because we were holding the whole thing outdoors, one of our first considerations was a bathroom.
We looked into renting a port-a-potty style, but frankly nothing about those says wedding. We saw some beautiful trailer-style restrooms to rent at a bridal show, but they would have obliterated our budget.
Being the handy guy he is, my husband decided to build one onto the back of our barn. He ended up using mostly repurposed or left over supplies, and the whole thing cost us about $300. On top of that, it was adorable. I’m not going to show you the entire thing yet, because I’d like to share some of the things we made to go into it before the big reveal. I’m starting with this unassuming but foot-friendly little rug.
I made each of the bridesmaids and the flower girl grey knit robes, and a white one for the bride, so they would have something to wear while they got ready.
Making six robes left me with lots of scraps, so I used those to make this. You could also cut up t-shirts.
I cut strips that were about 1” wide and 6” long. If my notes are correct (forgive me, a lot was going on) I ended up with 1092 grey and 185 white. I didn’t use all of them. I’d recommend counting the holes to get a good estimate of how many you’ll need.
For the base I used the same type of mesh used for latch hook rugs. You can buy it by the yard at the fabric store. I cut mine 16 by 24”. I happened to have some of this on hand, so this project cost me nothing out of pocket!
To bind the edges, I cut strips of knit that were 2” wide by the length of each side, plus a few inches. Starting with the short sides, I overlapped the strip so it was covering the edge and stitched through all three layers on the sewing machine.
For the long sides I did the same, only I turned the ends under about 1/2”.
The corners should overlap.
I used a pointy stick to push the ends of the small strips up through the holes from the bottom.
Both ends should come up through adjacent holes.
I only tied these once, rather than a square knot, because I found it was too bulky otherwise. The knit holds well and none of them have come untied.
I skipped a row of the mesh so only one strip of fabric is in each hole. I also skipped a row when starting the next. Again, it was too bulky if I didn’t. This is what the back ends up looking like.
Because of its size this rug is pretty heavy, but it’s great to stand on because it’s so thick. It held in place well on the wood floor of the bathroom at the wedding, but slides around a bit on some tile. The newlyweds are still using it in the bathroom at their new apartment!